Reports To: Director, Marketing or MarCom Mgr
Graphic designers are problem solvers. A good designer can take a pile of materials such as text files, photos, illustrations and logos, and turn them into effective, coherent, integrated and exciting marketing pieces. The necessary skills are artistic, organizational, technical and (for the best designers) strategic. Graphic designers create brochures, annual reports, publications, packaging, ads, graphic interface, PowerPoint designs and templates, and other communication pieces that get printed. We also need a designer who is capable of working on Web sites, multimedia projects (such as Macromedia and digital video editing) and product interface design.
Purpose of the job
To assist in the design and production of art for key visual materials required for promoting the product line(s), or for other corporate services as warranted, including sales, marketing, customer support and public relations. In addition, this position will direct the design interface for the next generation of products.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Personal design work, layout and management.
- Reviews artistic design strategy and requirements with staff in development, marketing, sales, or other functional departments.
- Conceptualizes graphics required; produces sample layouts; edits and modifies based on feedback.
- Recommends standards or parameters for usage of approved graphics and monitors usage for adherence.
- Art directs photo shoots and converts digital graphics; develops pictures using 2D software tools; completes programming to produce graphics required for publishing to print or web applications.
- Handles designated projects from start to completion, including producing work on own, as well as overseeing outside and in-house staff as necessary to complete the project effectively.
- Artistic Skills. Good eye for layout, type, and color. Can integrate supplied and/or stock photos and illustrations with text. Can organize fairly complex and chaotic source materials into simpler, integrated, coherent printed piece. Has an understanding of readability issues in typography. Can montage photos attractively; decide when to use various effects. Some drawing skills.
- Creativity. A talent for creating unique and practical design elements—that are also effective (from a marketing standpoint).
- Technical, Computer-Graphic Skills. Can produce files that will consistently image properly to film in prepress stage. Understands color separation, optimization of scanned images. Extensive experience on press. Some experience, or a strong desire to learn Macromedia Director, digital editing, etc. Understands how to create Web based content and design.
- Four-year degree in graphics design.
- At least 3-5 years of experience with printed material and press experience—including brochures, flyers, ads, books, etc.
- At least 2 years experience in Web design elements.
- Some experience in software design elements, multimedia production and digital video.
- Copywriting experience a plus.
- Prefer experience with the following apps:
- Adobe Illustrator or Freehand
- Pre-flight software (Flightcheck or Pre-Flight Pro)
- Dreamweaver or Go Live
- Macromedia Director