What applies in North America may or may not apply to international resellers. For example, some countries have laws prohibiting certain types of promotions (Germany does not allow a competitive matrix), others have serious problems with copy violation (China is well known for violating copyrights on desktop software, although they are fine with enterprise applications), some require major localization (Japan), while others require little if any (England, Australia).
Chanimal can always help you get into the European, Canadia, Asia Pacific (NZ, Australia), but typically not into China, Brazil, etc.)Fortunately, there are several firms that can help you to navigate the differences, setup master in-country distributors, recruit international resellers, setup the agreements. The two major ones are listed below.
The York Group. This team is an international marketing and software consulting company offering services in software and business development worldwide. Specifically, they can help with international global channel development, sales, marketing, business development for software, wireless, and information technology products. They have localized offices in the U.S., the United Kingdom, France, Scandinavia, India, Singapore, and Korea, and partner companies that provide access to significant local resources in key markets such as Germany, Italy, Japan, China, and others. I have worked with The York Group numerous times and they have done a terrific job. They also do all the International work for Microsoft and help all their ISVs. Following is content graciously provided by Harald Horgen, CEO of The York Group:
- Click here to view 101 things to consider before going international.
- Download An Introduction to International Expansion. This article addresses strategic issues, the importance of being prepared before recruiting international partners, and the risks a prospective channel partner will evaluate before signing an agreement with a vendor.
- Download Software Localization. This paper will provide a good overview of the software localization process
- Additional white papers from The York group can be downloaded here.
Softdatabase. In addition to their re-known enterprise software reseller database (lists available), they have a strong consulting arm. With offices in China, France, and the United Kingdom, they offer international consulting that helps privately held software companies bring their enterprise software products to the Asia Pacific, European, and North American markets. They have especially strong expertise with China. Services include:
- Building an international network of Sales Partners (VAR, SI, OEM)
- Localization from English to simplified and traditional Chinese
- Market research, market studies
- Merger and Acquisition
- Product search
- Assistance setting up international offices (China and Europe only)
Chanimal is aware of the capabilities of each of these groups. Please call if you would like me to provide specific contacts and how you might best work with each one.
In addition, please check out these pre-screened links available for Channel Sales, Merchandising, and Rep Firms. Requires registration to access (free).